Difference between revisions of "Applications"
|Line 657:||Line 657:|
* [http://www.processmaker.com/ Process Maker]
* [http://www.processmaker.com/ Process Maker]
Revision as of 07:22, 27 February 2014
Application related Free Open Source Software is user-facing, software that does something useful under the operation of a human being. The following applications are all FOSS, in most cases the result of many years of wide user involvement and continuing improvement:
- 1 Accessibility
- 2 Accounting
- 3 Animation
- 4 Association / Non-Profit Management
- 5 Astronomy
- 6 Audio Editing
- 7 Billing
- 8 Business Intelligence
- 9 CD/DVD Creation
- 10 Church Management
- 11 Communications
- 12 Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- 13 Crowd Sourcing
- 14 Customer Relationship Management
- 15 Desktop
- 16 Desktop Publishing
- 17 Development Environments
- 18 Disaster Management
- 19 Dispatching
- 20 Document Management
- 21 Ebook Readers
- 22 E-commerce
- 23 Education
- 24 Email & Calendar
- 25 Email Marketing
- 26 Emergency Services
- 27 Engineering
- 28 ERP
- 29 File Compression
- 30 Flight Simulator
- 31 Forums
- 32 Game
- 33 Genealogy
- 34 Graphics
- 35 Graphing
- 36 Groupware (email, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks )
- 37 Health / Medical / Dental
- 38 Human Resources (HR)
- 39 Instant Messaging
- 40 Inventory Management
- 41 ISP Management
- 42 Issue Tracking
- 43 Label Printing
- 44 Library Software
- 45 Mathematics
- 46 Mind Mapping
- 47 Modeling
- 48 Multimedia
- 49 Notes
- 50 Office Suite
- 51 PDF Viewers / Editors / Writers
- 52 Photography
- 53 Point of Sale
- 54 Presentations
- 55 Printing 3D
- 56 Project Management
- 57 Real Estate
- 58 Reporting / Charts / Graphs
- 59 Resource Management
- 60 Screencasting
- 61 Search Engine
- 62 Social Networking
- 63 Sound Editing
- 64 Survey Software
- 65 Terminal Emulation
- 66 Timesheet & Time Tracking
- 67 Video Capture
- 68 Video Players
- 69 Video Conferencing
- 70 Video Editing
- 71 Virtual Desktop Clients
- 72 Virtual Private Network
- 73 Virtual World / Simulator
- 74 Vision
- 75 Voice Calling
- 76 Voice Recognition
- 77 Website Analytics
- 78 Web Browser
- 79 Web Conferencing
- 80 Website Content Management Systems (CMS)
- 81 Website Development
- 82 Wiki
- 83 Workflow
- Orca - screen reader and voice access.
- SITPLUS - eye tracking.
- Viacam - mouse replacement.
- Vinix - Ubuntu optimized for visually impaired users.
- jGnash - personal.
- GnuCash - personal financial management.
- LedgerSMB - SQL-Ledger fork.
- SQL-Ledger - first professional and now leading FOSS accounting app for businesses.
- KTooN - 2D animation.
Association / Non-Profit Management
- CiviCRM - first and now standard FOSS app for association management, events, campaigns.
- Arduino Telescope ASCOM Driver - hardware controller standard.
- AIPS - Astronomical Image Processing System.
- GNU Radio - for radio astronomy.
- INDI - distributed control protocol for astronomical instrumentation.
- JSkyCalc - time and sky calculations.
- Observation Manager - astronomical observations logbook.
- PHD Guiding - intelligent auto-guiding.
- SGL Observatory Automation - automate an astronomical observatory.
- XEphem - sky charting.
- XmTel - telescope control software.
- Jack - audio connection.
- Ardour - digital audio workstation.
- Pentaho - one of the first FOSS BI systems.
- ChurchDB - management of families, integration with Google Maps.
- Asterisk - first and now standard Voice over IP (VoIP) management system.
- Ekiga - conferencing support.
Computer Aided Design (CAD)
(Also see 3D modelling app "Blender" in Graphics section.)
- Ushahidi - dispersed information collection and mapping.
Customer Relationship Management
- OpenCRX - with ticketing and issue management.
- vtiger - standard FOSS fork of original SugarCRM software.
- GNOME - most widely used Linux user interface, underlying Ubuntu.
- KDE - second most widely used Linux user interface.
- SCRIBUS - standard FOSS app for magazines, bulletins, handouts, posters.
- Eclipse - standard FOSS integrated development environment (IDE), foundation supported by almost every major tech company, based in Ottawa, Canada.
- OpenRelief - inexpensive drone controller.
- Tickets CAD - dispatch management and tracking system.
- Alfresco - one of the first and most widely used doc management systems, several commercial open source components but makes the list because they converted back to the GPL License.
- Nuxeo - standard FOSS doc management system from Europe, all FOSS components, scales from small to very large organizations..
- Drupal Commerce - for Drupal websites.
- nopCommerce - asp.net based cart.
- Open For Business - one of the first FOSS e-commerce systems.
- oscommerce - one of the first FOSS e-commerce systems.
- RapidShop - shopping carts.
- Ubercart - integrates with Drupal.
- Virtuemart - integrates with Joomla.
- Course Builder - by Google.
- Moodle - one of the first and now most widely used FOSS education apps.
- VUE - unique capabilites, extraordinary visual mapping tool to help organize digital resources.
Email & Calendar
- Evolution - widely deployed world wide by Novell in late 1990's, the standard enterprise level client.
- Thunderbird-Lightening - Mozilla (Firefox) supported client, most widely used individual FOSS client.
- OpenEMM - emails and campaigns with automated opt-out compliance.
- Open ISES Tickets - Information Systems for Emergency Services (ISES).
- Code-Aster - Civil and Structural Engineering finite element analysis and numeric simulation in structural mechanics.
- Adempiere - one of the very first FOSS ERP solutions.
- OpenERP - one of the most widely used.
- opentaps - one of the most widely used.
- 7-zip - support for gzip, zip, related formats.
- KDE Games - games for the KDE Linux user interface (should be able to run on most Gnome based systems as well).
- Blender3D - 3D modeling.
- Cenon - vector graphics.
- DIA - first FOSS template tool, occasionally useful, now superseded by LibreOffice Draw, Gimp, Inkscape, and others.
- Gimp - standard FOSS bitmap editing application, extraordinarily powerful.
- Krita - painting and sketching.
- Inkscape - standard FOSS vector graphics application.
- Diagram Designer - Simple vector graphics editor for creating flowcharts, UML class diagrams, illustrations and slide shows.
- Graphite - scalable real-time graphing.
Groupware (email, contacts, calendar, notes, tasks )
- eGroupWare - web-based.
Health / Medical / Dental
- Eclipse OHF - health framework.
- GnuMED - electronic medical records.
- OpenDental - dental application.
- OpenEHR - electronic health records.
- Open EMR - electronic medical records.
- OpenMolar - dental software.
- OpenTox - interoperable predictive toxicology framework.
- OSCAR - electronic medical records.
- VistA - electronic medical records.
Human Resources (HR)
- OrangeHRM - first FOSS HR management software.
- Pidgin - standard FOSS app for IM, can connect to all major networks.
- PHIRC (IRC)
- Freeside - billing, CRM, trouble ticketing, network monitoring and provisioning for ISPs, VoIP providers and other industries.
- Trac - standard (basic) FOSS issue tracking app, simple interface, customizable reports.
(See "Bug Tracking" software on "System Software" page for more sophisticated systems.)
- Mathbuntu - learning software.
- ArgoUML - UML modeling.
- HandBrake - format conversions.
- Hugin - panorama photo stitcher.
- Calligra Suite - Koffice spinoff.
- LibreOffice - standard FOSS office suite software, compatible with Microsoft Office, update of original OpenOffice.org.
PDF Viewers / Editors / Writers
- CC PDF converter - PDF printer.
- PDFCreator - PDF printer.
- Hugin - panoramic photo stitcher togetherer.
Point of Sale
- Sozi - zooming presentation editor and player.
- GanttProject - Gantt charts, reads/writes MS project.
- Planner - simple interface, Gantt charts, resource allocation, cost roll-ups, HTML export, best basic tool.
- ProjectLibre - update of original OpenProj app, Gantt charts, resources, costing, read /write compatible with MS Project, best sophisticated tool.
- RedMine - web-based collaboration support for project teams.
Reporting / Charts / Graphs
- Kazam - screen recording for screencasts.
- Diaspora - modeled on Facebook.
- PuTTY - Telnet, SSH, xterm emulator.
Timesheet & Time Tracking
- Timesheet Next Gen - spin-off of long-time Timesheet.php.
- Avidemux - good video conversion, rotation tools.
Virtual Desktop Clients
Virtual Private Network
Virtual World / Simulator
- Gaze Tracker - gaze tracker.
- OpenCV - computer vision libraries.
- Firefox - standard FOSS app until Chrome took more user share, traces lineage as a descendent of the first widespread browser Netscape.
- Chrome - Google supported browser, very fast, portal to bring users into other (non-FOSS) Google services.
- BigBlueButton - standard FOSS conferencing app for education.
- DimDim - one of the first FOSS conferencing apps.
- WebHuddle - one of the first FOSS conferencing apps.
Website Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Drupal - most widely used FOSS content management system for complex sites, many themes and plugins.
- Joomla - second most widely used FOSS content management system.
- Amaya - original browser supported by creator of web, Tim Berners-Lee, with his vision of always being able to both view and edit any page in the same app.
- Bluefish - editor.
- BlueGriffon - editor.
- WordPress - standard and most widely used FOSS website software, large set of templates, support for blogging, discussions, forums.
- MediaWiki - original and same software that runs Wikipedia.