From Free Open Source Software
The following five large sites provide access to most of the free open source software:
- Apache Software Foundation -- Originally the source for the popular Apache web server. Now offers an array of FOSS web development services, including Java applications servers, frameworks, and application development tools.
- Mozilla.org – Best known for the Firefox web browser. Also supports development of the Thunderbird email application and related components.
- OpenOffice.org -- The popular open system office suite, including the Writer word processor, Calc spreadsheet, Impress presentation software, Base database manager, and related tools. Excellent interoperability with MS Office.
- Savannah -- Central point for development, distribution, and maintenance of GNU software. See related Free Software Foundation focused on GNU policy and licensing.
- SourceForge.net -– Calling itself "The world's largest development and download repository of Open Source”, the SourceForge site supports more than 50,000 free open source software development projects, including community organization and management tools to help teams develop their software.